Section 504 of Rehabilitation Act of 1974 is a national law that protects people with disabilities from discrimination. Any organization receiving federal financial assistance is forbidden from denying an individual’s right to participate in, and have access to, program benefits and services. Each school district should have a 504 Procedures Guide or Policy Manual available for families and a staff designated as the 504 Coordinator.
- What You Need to Know About 504
- Frequently Asked Questions about Section 504 – USDE
- How to File a Complaint with the Office of Civil Rights – OCR
- Sample Letter Requesting 504– ASK
Section 504 Compared to IDEA:
- IDEA and Section 504 Side by Side – ASK
- Education Rights for Students with ADHD – National Resource Center on ADHD