When students with disabilities have problem behaviors that interfere with learning, it is important to understand what those behaviors are telling us. Parents can work with school teams to create a plan for developing a student’s skills so that everyone is on the same page regarding problem behavior.
- Positive Solutions for Families – www.challengingbehavior.org
- School-wide Positive Behaviors Inventions and Support – PACER
- FBA – Alliance
- Helping Traumatized Children Learn – Trauma Sensitive Schools
Discipline: Special considerations may be necessary for students with an IEP or 504 Plan in order for the student to have access to making academic progress when behavior has been a concern at school.
- IDEA Close Up: Disciplining Students with Disabilities – NICHCY
- Special Education Discipline Step by Step Guide to Suspension – IA DE
- Manifestation Determination – The Consideration of Disability – ASK
- Protections for Students Not Yet Identified as Eligible for Special Education Services – Protection and Advocacy for People with Disabilities Inc.
- Communication with Correction System – Pacer